Monday, September 26, 2011

The Cupcake Diaper Bag


Cupcake print diaper bag for Aaliyah

 Last Saturday, Justine's mother-in-law hosted a surprise baby shower for her.  I've had this diaper bag finished for a few weeks, but I haven't posted any pictures of it because I didn't want Justine to see them.  Justine actually picked out these fabrics which are Heidi Grace coordinates from Joanns.  I love the colors together, and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. 


I used this Purse-O-Nalities pattern from
Palm Harbor pattern company.   When I first made this pattern a couple months ago, it reminded me of a carpet bag.  I thought that it would make a cute diaper bag with those side pockets, and I was right. 

This pattern does require more fabric than any other tote that I make which is why it is also the most expensive tote that I make and sell.

Because this particular bag is for Justine, and she just happens to have a very special place in my heart, I added some extra details that I thought she would especially appreciate. 


 On the inside of the diaper bag, I added a gathered pocket that is divided into two sections.  The other side has a larger flat pocket that is also divided into two sections.  A small pocket on one end of the bag is the perfect size for a pacifer or smaller items.  And the other end of the bag sports a removal bottle holder which is perfect for a baby bottle or Mom's water bottle.


I can only imagine how harried Justine might be when trying to juggle her busy life with baby, so I added a swivel hook on a short strap for the elusive pacifier or for Justine's car keys.


 Here's a closer view of the front of the bag which is pleated and trimmed with the contrasting fabric.  Those elasticized side pockets will hold bottles or cups.


The zippered pocket on the outside of the bag is a feature that is included in most of the Purse-O-Nality patterns, and I love it!  Justine could safely carry her wallet or checkbook or any other valuable items safely in this zippered pocket eliminating the need to carry a diaper bag and a purse.


Here's a shot of the matching changing pad that I included with the diaper bag.  I found an online tutorial for this project, and I like the way it turned out, too. 


Here's the happy mama opening her presents at the shower.  It was a beautiful shower, and she got tons of lovely gifts! We are all looking forward to the arrival of the little princess.

Stay tuned for more handmade baby gift ideas!

4 comments:

Gwen said...

Very nice diaper bag!! Mamma looks so happy :)

Anonymous said...

please tell me you can make another one of these. this is the exact diaper bag i have been looking for. please email me and let me know a price and if you can do this one. sashadelozier@yahoo.com

Stephanie said...

I love this bag so much. This would be so perfect for my sister in law who is a cupcake store owner. I was wondering if you would be interested in also making one for her as well please email me back with a response at sdubosh87@me.com

Anonymous said...

I am head over heels for this diaper bag my theme for my baby girl is cupcakes and i would love a bag like this. I was wonder if it was possible for you to make me one. Please email. er0315915@students.mclennan.edu