Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dresses: mixed fabrics for fall fashion




This summer, I got out all of my old smocking patterns and designs.  I was having a great time looking through everything and planning dresses for the great-granddaughters.

I decided that I would make back to school smocked dresses for Makaila and Kyra, our greatgranddaughters who are four and three years old, respectively and both attend preschool. 

Smocking takes time, and soon it became apparent that I was not going to finish the back to school dresses in time for back to school.  Not this year, anyway. 

My back up plan was to make them dresses that are not smocked.  The only request from their mother was that the dresses be identical.  It seems that the nightgowns that I made for them one year at Christmas time were a source or arguments since one nightgown was pink with turtles and one was white with cows.
These are the matching nightgowns for their dolls.
For these fall dresses, I chose a basic pattern with a buttoned yoke and long sleeves.  The dresses were easy to put together and fun to sew.  I didn't want them to look plain though, so I chose two different fabrics:  a floral and a coordinating stripe.  These two fabrics are from the Heidi Grace collection at Joanns.

These dresses are identical except for the buttons.  One dress has orange buttons, while the other dress has pink buttons.  I certainly hope their are no fights about that!

No comments: