Saturday, October 29, 2011

Soft and Cozy Flannel for Mama and Baby

It's amazing how many free tutorials and ideas are available for handmade gifts for new mothers and their babies.  Over the past few months, I've compiled a large list of links in my "Baby Gifts" folder in my list of favorites.

Many of the gifts were made from flannel--one of my favorite fabrics!  My favorite place to buy flannel is in the Big Valley at Buchanan's Fabric Store.  The flannel fabric that they sell is a much higher quality fabric than the flannel from the chain store, Joann's Fabric & Crafts.

Some of the fabric from these projects did come from Joanns, but there is an obvious difference in the quality of various flannels. 



This is a large double-sided receiving blanket that I made following the instructions in this blog.  I love the generous size of this blanket, and the two layers of flannel make it perfect for a fall/winter baby. 
This fabric came from Joanns.  I had to make one blanket covered with "I Luv Grandma", didn't I?

I had a enough fabric left over to make this contoured rag-edge burp cloth.  I got the idea for this shape from this blog.
Once I got started with the burp cloth idea, I decided to run with it.  I found this "dog bone" shaped burp cloth online here.  These were my favorite ones, and they were super fast to make.  I simply cut them out, put two layers of flannel wrong sides together and serged the edges. 

This flannel has the words "Daddy's Girl" printed on it.  So cute! 

One other flannel item I wanted to make was nursing pads.  I saw these online, and thought they would be a good way to use up some of these flannel scraps.

In my stash, I found lots of flannel scraps large enough for the nursing pads.  I found a soccer print, a football print, and a Nascar print.  I also had leftover baby prints.  I used a round fabric motif for a pattern and cut out the pads in sets of four.

It is important to use only natural fibers in nursing pads, so I added Warm 'n Natural, a cotton batting, for absorbency.  In this first set of football pads, I added just one layer of batting.  They seemed too thin to be absorbent.  They are now coasters. 

Who can't use an extra set of coasters, right? 

Since making these, I have found a pattern for a contoured nursing pad.  I may try some of those, too.  But for now, these will have to do.






4 comments:

Cindy said...

very nice!

Honeybunny said...

I used flannel nursing pads for all 3 kids. I think I sewed 6 layers together. Loved them. they worked great, and way nicer then paper ones...ick.

Elaine said...

Thanks, Cindy!

Honeybunny, that is good to know that you actually used them. I think I will have to make some more of these.

Wise Hearted said...

What a talent you have, the Proverbs 31 woman, gifted. I sew a little, and only when I have too. I leave my detailed to a seamstress friend, we trade, I cut hair, she sews. Works well for us. Beautiful ideas. Blessings