Monday, August 1, 2011

Organizing Your Craft or Sewing Space

This is my favorite mug!
If you are a crafter, you know that there is never time enough to complete all the projects that beckon you to your craft room or area. 

Nothing eats up our precious sewing and crafting time like a lack of organization.  I've got a few tips today to help you get your space in great working order.

Here's a shot of my sewing area, and I will show you my organization techniques in detail.  I have three tips today to help you get the most from your craft space, though these tips will work equally as well in any kind of work space, even a kitchen.

TIPS FOR A TIP-TOP WORKSPACE:

  1. Like with like
  2. Label, label, label
  3. Location  matters

Allow me to explain all these "L" words.
On the right is a small set of drawers that sits to the right of my main sewing machine.  That is prime location since everything in and on that stand is at my fingertips. 

On top of the stand, I have a pad and pencil to make note of sewing notions that I need to purchase, my drink with a LID, my thread snips, and my pin box. 

In the cabinet drawers, I have my most used sewing supplies and all of my thread.  I like to keep like items with like items.  I never have to guess the location of my thread, my bobbins, my sewing machine needles, or my machine accessories.  All of those things are contained in this one cabinet.


All three lower drawers in this cabinet hold thread that is sorted by color and use. 
When it comes to storing and using other sewing and craft supplies, labeling is vital.  I used to spend an inordinate amount of time searching for my supplies when I was sewing.  Not anymore!


Check out this small bookshelf.  These shelves contain items that I use often, but not every time I sew.  This bookshelf is directly behind me when I am sewing, and I can easily get to these items by wheeling around on my office chair.  Notice how the items are grouped in containers like items with like items, and they are clearly labeled, and in a convenient location.   Here's a couple close ups of some of the storage containers on the shelves.



Zippers are sorted by length into small drawers.
Even my magazines and sewing books are sorted and labeled.

The bookshelf houses zippers, buttons, serger and secondary sewing machine supplies all sorted like items with like items and clearly labeled for easy access.

Being organized will save more time than you can imagine though it does take some time to actually get organized.  Organizing a craft or sewing space can be fun, and the rewards are so worth the time investment. 

An organized space does not have to cost a lot.  I have completely organized my sewing room on a shoestring budget.  I have repurposed furniture to make room for my sewing supplies.

Here, an old dresser holds a myriad of sewing notions.  The dresser is so old, that I was free to attach sticky labels to each drawer so that in a few seconds, I can have in hand whatever I need. 

I have used plastic baskets, cardboard boxes, thrift store finds, and inexpensive containers to keep my sewing room in Tip-Top order ... just the way I like it!   

Stay tuned for more organizing ideas that will help you gain control of your time and your crafting space.

No comments: