Saturday, July 30, 2011

"To Succeed, Fill a Need"

This title is a catch phrase that I heard long ago when I was in a direct sales business, and the phrase has stuck with me.  Today's sewing project reminded me of this phrase, "To succeed, fill a need." 

I was chatting with a fellow frugal friend last night, and she expressed a need for an apron that would hold clothespins while she was hanging laundry to dry.  She showed me a picture of the kind of apron she had in mind, but she wanted her apron to have "really deep pockets".  I understood her need since I, too, line dry all of my laundry.  It is tedious business picking up pins for each piece of laundry. 

She was not particular about the fabric choices but was partial to flowers and birds.  I sifted through my fabric collection which you can see on the shelves in the picture, and found a lovely piece of fabric in a bird print.  I paired it with a large scrap of denim which I thought would add stability and durability to the apron. 

In my pattern stash, I found this pattern:  Simplicity 8720, a collection of retro aprons.  For this project, I chose view F, a half apron with a rounded bottom edge and pockets.  I decided that I could achieve even deeper pockets by drafting a different pocket for this apron. 

For my pocket inspiration, I turned to a cute purse pattern that I have made in the past: the Margo Handbag from Lazy Girl Designs.  I like the look and the functionality of these deep front pockets on this purse (which, by the way, I do not make to sell since the Lazy Girl patterns are copyrighted designs).  I knew that if this pocket style worked on a purse, it would work on an apron.



After making my own pocket pattern and cutting out my project, I just had to put it all together.  This was not a difficult project, but as always, the first run of a pattern always takes longer than the repeat performances.

Here's the completed apron with "really deep pockets" for my frugal friend Michelle.  This apron will be on its way to Kentucky on Monday. 

I will certainly be making myself one of these aprons in the near future.  I will probably make mine in pink or maybe I'll use a rugged manly print since my husband sometimes helps with the laundry duties.

If you need a clothespin apron, you'll be happy to know that I will be adding these to my list of items that I make to sell.  Don't forget that I can mail any custom made items anywhere in the U.S.A.

3 comments:

Gwen said...

OMG yes!!! how cool is that! Very cute. way to go! :) Hope Michelle enjoys it.

Renee said...

That's fantastic! I love it!

Michelle said...

Oh, I love it, I love it, I love it! I can't wait til it gets here. Thank you lovely friend! :)