Thursday, July 28, 2011

IT'S A SNAP!




A zipper is not the only kind of closure for a handmade purse.  I sell a lot of bags with magnetic snap closures.  I even carry bags with magnetic snap closures and have never yet lost any valuables.

This bag on the left is from a pattern called Bow Tucks Purse.  The pattern includes instructions for a button and fabric loop closure, but I much prefer a magnetic snap closure. 

In this photo on the right, you can see the magnetic snap in the center of the top lining pieces.  These snaps offer a secure closure for these purses and totes.




Here's my favorite fall purse which was made using the Bow Tucks Tote pattern.  Instead of the patch pocket on the front of the purse, I added a zippered pocket in the back of the purse.  I use this zippered pocket to hold my matching wallet to keep it safe and secure. 

Magnetic snaps are also useful on purse designs which include a flap.  Take a look at this messenger bag which is one of my original designs. 

This pattern makes use of a magnetic snap to secure the flap and also a zipper to create a secure pocket under that front flap making this a great purse for shopping or traveling.


Below is another purse with a magnetic snap closure on the flap.  This pattern in The Classic Purse from Palm Harbor Patterns.


Obviously, zippers and magnetic snaps are not the only methods of closing handbags and totes.  I have used hook and loop tape, buttons and loops, and ties. 

The bag closure should look stylish, provide security, and ease of use.  And for the seamstress, any of these methods can be mastered with some patience and practice. 

2 comments:

Beth Tracy Kaliski said...

I just have to say I love my purse! It's a snap closure and although I've never really had one before, I haven't lost anything. You do such great work!

Elaine said...

Thanks for that endorsement, Beth. I'm so happy that you are a satisfied customer.