Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Who needs a mug mat?


Now that I've found out what a mug mat is, I can think of tons of people who need them! 

A mug mat is bigger than a coaster and smaller than a placemat.  You can see from my picture that my mug mat comfortably holds my mug with room for a tea bag, spoon, or a small snack.

I first saw a mug mat when looking at ideas for hostess gifts, but if you are curious, do a search.  There are plenty of tutorials for mug mats online.

As soon as I saw the picture and tutorials, I knew I needed some mug mats.  I often have two drinks at a time--one hot and one cold.  So I put one drink on a coaster and one drink on a newspaper. But not anymore!

Now I NEED a set of mug mats to use when we play board games at the dining room table.  We can keep our drinks on the mug mat so that the cards don't get wet and still have room for our pretzels or chips. 

Here's a few more pictures of my first two mug mats.  For my first one, I used bright scraps and added an appliqued circle for the cup.  I finished it off with bias that is mitered at the corners. 

My second one is not quite as pretty.  I finished the edges of the red, white, and blue one with a zig zag stitch. 


I'm sure I'm going to be making some more of these in different designs.  This is a great project for using up scraps of fabric and scraps of fusible fleece. 

No comments: